Hunter Elliott, owner of Rangehot.com, a popular internet gun review magazine, called us with an urgent request. His hosting company, a large and well-known national provider of website hosting services, told him that they would no longer provide him with technical support because his website contained firearm-related content.
Due to this very 2A unfriendly move, Hunter was concerned about the security of his website if he could no longer get ongoing support from his hosting company. He was also concerned that the hosting company would one day kick his site off their platform altogether.
Of extreme importance to Hunter was to find a 2A friendly company that would provide ongoing technical support and would keep his website security up to date with the latest version of WordPress, associated plugins and themes. Although, his previous hosting company advertised that they provided such services, they refused to keep his site up to date.
As web professionals we understand why some clients prefer WordPress. We also understand the security issues and maintenance challenges presented by WordPress. Unlike some web development firms or "one-man shops" who simply build the website and move on to the next project, we provide the necessary ongoing maintenance WordPress websites require including the latest version upgrades, plugin updates and theme patches.
What we did.
- Backed up the original rangehot.com WordPress website and documented all settings from the original hosting company.
- Moved the WordPress website to one of our 2A friendly hosting packages.
- Upon learning that the existing WordPress website was too old to run on modern hosting packages we identified the problem components and created a plan to revise the entire website.
- Rebuilt the website to use a modern, eye-catching, up-to-date WordPress theme and carried over the critical features and article content identified by the customer from the old website. No article content or photos were lost in the move.
- Added additional WordPress-specific security to greatly improve overall website security. We improved the admin login security and dramatically reduced the number of hacking attempts on the rangehot.com website each day.
What we continue to do.
- Provide 2A friendly site management services including:
- WordPress website hosting
- WordPress security patches
- WordPress version upgrades
- Scheduled WordPress backups
- Provide ongoing WordPress maintenance as needed to help maintain and improve WordPress security. Because of its open source nature, it is critical to keep a WordPress site up to date for site security and speed, as well as continued theme and plugin compatibility.
- Maintain numerous backups to be used in the event of a failed or incompatible WordPress upgrade or website intrusion by a hacker.